What is the difference between monochromator and spectrometer?
The idea for the monochromator dates back to 1666, when Newton, studying a prism, discovered that the sun's rays were broken down into seven colors through the prism. In 1814 Fraunhofer designed an optical system consisting of slits, prisms and Windows and discovered absorption lines (Fraunhofer lines) in the solar spectrum. In 1860, Spectroscopy, a modern spectrograph designed by Kirchhoff and Bunsen for the study of metal spectra, was born. Since the prism spectrum is nonlinear, people begin to study grating spectrometers. Grating monochromator is an instrument for obtaining monochromatic light by grating diffraction. It can obtain monochromatic light from the source of the composite light (that is, the source of the mixed light of different wavelengths), obtain the light of a certain wavelength by a certain Angle of deflection of the grating, and can measure its value and intensity. Therefore, the spectral analysis of composite light source can be carried out.
The difference between monochromator and spectrometer:
In the modern instrument industry, there are four different types of instruments, they are spectrometer, monochromator, spectrograph, spectrophotometer. Many people do not understand the difference between these four instruments, so let me briefly introduce them to you.
- Monochromator and spectrometer are actually the same, but have different names according to the purpose of use.
- The spectrometer simply means that the light is separated by different wavelengths through the grating and other spectroscopic devices to form the light energy distribution divided by wavelength. Spectrometers are used for pure optical properties analysis. They only need to measure and output the relative spectral energy distribution of the measured source.
- The spectrograph only adds photosensitive film on the basis of the spectrum, which is convenient for obtaining the spectral image in real time. In the current situation of computer popularization, the image does not need to be printed in real time, so the spectrograph has no application prospect, but it still has a large market in geological exploration and other fields.
- A spectrophotometer is an instrument for measuring the intensity of a reflected or transmitted object by separating each discontinuous monochromatic light from a mixture containing various wavelengths. Because different objects have different molecular structures and their ability to absorb light at different wavelengths, each object has a specific absorption spectrum. It can be seen that a spectrophotometer is actually a system containing a spectrometer, and it is an application of spectral analysis, requiring measurement to show the absolute value of spectral photometric parameters of the measured source. In addition, spectrophotometers, which scan light at different wavelengths, are much slower than spectrometers.
For more information about monochromator, please continue to follow our website!
- XRF Fluorescence Spectrometer for jewelry 2023-02-01 493
- New Product Launch | ATP7810 Ultra Wide Range Infrared Grating Spectrometer 2023-09-05 41
- Treatment of Medical Waste Based on Spectroscopy 2023-01-09 435
- Whole Blood Analysis Based on UV-VIS Spectroscopy 2023-01-05 605
- Irradiance Spectrum Analysis Measure Solution 2022-12-16 387
- spectrometer FAQ 2022-08-22 940
- LED Light Measurement Solution 2022-04-24 891
- How to Use NIR Spectrometer to Detect Textiles Rapidly 2022-03-16 964
- Estimation of Forage Biomass and Nutritional Value by Ground Spectrometer 2022-03-08 789
- Spectroscopy - A Journey in Search of Clean Water 2022-03-07 920
- How to Predict the Freshness of Peppers by Spectroscopy 2022-03-02 878
- Applications of Spectroscopy to Insect 2022-02-18 787
- How does Spectroscopy Identify Real or Fake Sneakers? 2022-02-16 799
- Can Spectroscopy Quickly and Easily Evaluate Paint Samples? 2022-02-10 765
- How to Detect CWAs Simulants in Soil by Spectroscopy 2022-01-07 591
- How to Measure WO3/PVA Films by Spectroscopy 2022-01-07 588
- How to Predict Egg Freshness of New Varieties by VIS-NIR Spectroscopy 2022-01-07 474
- New Algorithm to Improve High-Quality Spectral Signal 2022-01-07 490
- How to Detect Dielectric Barrier Discharge Ion Source by Spectroscopy 2022-01-06 412
- Traumatic Brain Injuries Detection By NIR spectroscopy 2022-01-06 517